We believe that all working people should be able to retire with dignity. Everyone should have access to a retirement savings plan at work and all working people should be covered by Social Security, including people who provide homecare and other jobs that have often been excluded.
What’s at stake: President Trump promised to protect retirement security for working people, but instead he has:
What's at Stake
President Trump promised to protect retirement security for working people but instead he has pushed for:
- Proposed cutting Social Security and Medicare.
- Abandoned a rule to protect people’s savings by requiring financial professionals to disclose if they’re paid to steer people to certain investments and banned selling retirement products that aren’t in clients’ “best interest.”
- Reducing retirement benefits for 2 million federal employees.
- Eliminating pension benefits for new federal employees and instituting a defined contribution plan that provides significantly lower retirement benefits.
We need a president who will strengthen Social Security, shore up pension benefits, and expand access to workplace-based retirement savings plans so all working people can retire with dignity.
Joe Biden is committed to ensuring everyone can have a secure retirement and has committed to:
- Increase benefits for retirees who had trouble saving for retirement because they’ve worked for low wages. His plan would increase benefits for the very poorest retirees by as much as $6,500 a year.
- Put Social Security on a path to long-term solvency, prevent privatization, provide higher benefits for the oldest Americans, and a minimum benefit of at least 125% of the poverty level.
- Eliminate penalties for workers and surviving beneficiaries who happen to be covered by both Social Security and a pension.