America will be a more prosperous, unified, and secure place to live when all of us – regardless of our country of origin or the color of our skin – are safe, free, and treated with respect.
What's at Stake
Trump has made the divisive politics of immigrant exclusion and deportation a centerpiece of his presidency. He has painted immigrants as criminals and implemented cruel and inhumane policies in an effort to make us believe that immigrant families are to blame for our country’s problems and keep working people divided. President Trump has:
- Jailed and mistreated people coming to the U.S. and separated migrant children – even infants – from their parents.
- Turned away refugees and families fleeing persecution.
- Halted nearly all legal immigration and banned immigration from majority-Muslim and 4 African countries.
- Obsessively pursued construction of a wall at the Mexican border despite overwhelming evidence that this enormously costly approach will do little to deter future immigration.
- Attempted to end both the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program that protects DREAMers--immigrants brought to the U.S. as children--and the Temporary Protected Status (TPS) of families from countries embroiled in wars or facing natural disasters. These programs remain in place, but only because of temporary court decisions.
We need a president committed to common sense immigration reform that will eliminate harmful barriers facing people who have moved here and make it easier for all working people to join together – regardless of where we were born – to improve our lives.
Biden believes in modernizing our immigration system to be fair and humane. He has pledged to:
- Undo the divisive policies and hateful rhetoric that impose needless cruelty on families in search of the American Dream and pause deportations while transitioning to a system that works better and reflects our core values.
- Reassert our commitment to people seeking refuge or asylum so they can rebuild their lives in safety.
- Make the DACA program, which protects DREAMers – people who were brought to the United States as children – permanent on his first day in office.
- Create a roadmap to citizenship for undocumented immigrants and reform our legal immigration system starting on his first day in office.